It comprises 4009 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is generally good and well cultivated, except on the coast, where the drifted sand injures the soil. Good stone is obtained here. At the northern extremity of the parish is Kilcummin Head, where is a coast-guard station, being one of the six in the district of Killala. The parish is in the diocese of Killala; the rectory is appropriate to the deanery and the precentorship of Killala, and the vicarage forms part of the union of Lacken: the tithes amount to £160, of which £93 is payable to the dean and the precentor, and £67 to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions, also, it forms part of the union or district of Lacken. About 60 children are educated in two public schools, and 25 in a private school. There are some remains of the old church, near which, in a small arm of the sea, the French army under Gen. Humbert landed, in 1798.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilcummin to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference G1802837611 (Lat/Lon: 54.280755, -9.259253), Kilcummin which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)