The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
In 1868, the parish of Kilgarvan contained the following places:
"KILGARVAN, a parish in the barony of Gallen, county Mayo, province of Connaught, Ireland, 5 miles S.E. of Ballina, its post town. It is about 5 miles square. The surface is very mountainous, including part of the Slieve Gamph range. There is a large proportion of bog and marsh. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Killala, value with Kilmoremoy, £777, in the patronage of the bishop. There are a Roman Catholic chapel and two day schools. Sallymount is the chief seat.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018