Killedan

Primary tabs

KILLEDAN, or KILLEDIN, a parish, in the barony of GALLEN, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (W. by S.) from Swinford, on the road from that place to Ballagh; containing 5741 inhabitants.

Some of the land is very good and well cultivated, but there are large tracts of bog. A market on Thursday has been lately established at the village of Cultymough, or Newtown-Brown. The principal seats are Ballinamore, the residence of T. Ormsby, Esq.; Killedan, of F. Taaffe, Esq.; Anna Hill, of Mrs. Scully, and Oxford, the property of - Twyhee, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Achonry, forming part of the union of Templemore; the rectory is impropriate in the representatives of R. Palmer, Esq. The tithes amount to £411. 11. 4., which is equally divided between the impropriators and the vicar. The church is a neat building, erected at Ballinamore by the Ormsby family.

The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a chapel at Cultymough.

About 120 children are educated in a public school, to which T. Ormsby, Esq., contributes £14 annually, and about 540 in four private schools. Here was a friary of conventual Franciscans, which existed till the Reformation.

There are some remains of the old church.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Killedan which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Killedan to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup