It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and in the patronage of the Archbishop; the rectory is partly appropriate to the prebends of Faldown and Killybegs in the cathedral of Tuam, and partly to the vicarage. The tithes amount to £350, of which £40. 7. 8. is payable to the prebendaries, and £309. 12.4. to the vicar There is no glebe-house, but a glebe of six acres on Calf island.
The church was erected in 1835, by a grant of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising this parish and Kilmaclasser, in each of which is a chapel; that of Kilmina is a large handsome building, erected in 1822 at an expense of £1200. There are two public schools, to one of which the rector contributes £15 per ann., and in which about 100 children are educated; and eleven private schools, in which 250 are taught.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilmeena to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference L9570088294 (Lat/Lon: 53.833797, -9.584977), Kilmeena which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)