KILMOVEE, a parish, in the barony of COSTELLO, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Ballaghadireen, on the road to Castlebar; containing 4240 inhabitants. It comprises 19,668 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, including 8500 acres of bog, and the remainder is very barren and mountainous. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Achonry, forming part of the union of Castlemore; the rectory is impropriate in Viscount Dillon. The tithes amount to £200. 8. 10., which is equally divided between the impropriator and the vicar. The R. C.
parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has chapels at Kilmovee and Glen. About 330 children are educated in four private schools.
There are some remains of the old church in a burialground.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.