McDonnell, Esq., occupies the site of an ancient fortress, of which there are still some remains near the present house. The living is a vicarage, in. the diocese of Achonry, forming part of the union of Emlyfadd; the rectory is impropriate in Sir H. C. Montgomery, Bart.
The tithes amount to £229. 13. 4½., of which £109, 7. 6. is payable to the lessee of the impropriator, and £120. 5. 10½. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Buninaden.
There are two private schools, in which are about 200 children. There are numerous Danish raths in the parish; and about three miles westward from Colloony are the remains of Meemlough castle, built by T. B. O'Hara; the walls are still entire and are perforated by flights of steps.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilturra to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference G5959607858 (Lat/Lon: 54.018442, -8.617144), Kilturra which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)