KILVINE, a parish, in the barony of CLANMORRIS, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4½ miles (N. W.) from Dunmore, on the road to Ballinrobe; containing 1925 inhabitants. It comprises 5670 statute acres, principally under tillage, and contains a great quantity of bog and some waste land. The principal seats are Cartown, the residence of J. Sheridan, Esq.; Killan, of F.French, Esq.; Rockfort, of T. Sheridan,Esq.; and Oldtown Cottage, of W. Bourke, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and in the patronage of the Archbishop; the tithes amount to £116. 6. 1¾. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ballindangan. About 110 children are educated in a private school.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.