MOORGAGA, a parish, in the barony of KILMAINE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5½ miles (N.) from Headfort, on the road to Ballinrobe; containing 518 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1362¼ statute acres of arable and pasture land. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, forming part of the union of Kilmainmore: the tithes amount to £55.
In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Kilmain. There is a private school, in which are about 160 children. From the fine ruins of the abbey of Kill, part of the possessions of the Benedictines in the 12th century, situated near the border of a small lake, an extensive and interesting view is obtained.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Moorgagagh to another place.
See the parish page on logainm.ie (The Placenames Database of Ireland)
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference M2685855442 (Lat/Lon: 53.544011, -9.104077), Moorgagagh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
526858,755442and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)