TEMPLEMORE, or STRADE, a parish, in the barony of GALLEN, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (S. W.) from Foxford, on the road from Foxford to Castlebar, and on the river Moy and Lough Cullen; containing 4135 inhabitants. A Franciscan friary was founded here by the sept of Mac Jordan, but in 1252 this house was given to the Dominicans by Jordan, of Exeter, Lord of Athlethan, or by his son Stephen: a very small part remains, but the walls of the church, which was singularly beautiful, are nearly entire, with some curious ornaments and a remarkable tomb: a house has been built adjoining the church, which is inhabited by some of the order. The parish comprises 6447 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is principally under tillage. There are quarries of limestone and some bog. In the village of Strade is a constabulary police station; and fairs are held on May 31st, July 30th, Oct. 23rd, and Nov. 27th.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Achonry, episcopally united, in 1805, to the vicarages of Bucholla, Towmore, Killasser, and Killedan, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the representatives of the late Roger Palmer, Esq. The tithes amount to £279.11.4., one-half of which is payable to the impropriators, and the other half to the vicar; the gross amount of the tithes of the benefice is £893.8.2.
There are two churches in the union, one at Foxford, in the parish of Towmore, and the other at Ballinamore in the parish of Killedan. In the R. C. divisions the parish is a separate benefice: the chapel is a large slated building contiguous to the abbey. There are four private schools, in which are about 240 children. Ballylahan castle is the ruin of an ancient fortress, about 30 feet square, built by one of the Jordan family, who had many more in this neighbourhood. An ancient bridge of 16 arches, called Alahan, or the Broad Ford, here crosses the river. Ruins exist of the ancient church of Templemore.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Templemore to another place.
See the parish page on logainm.ie (The Placenames Database of Ireland)
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference M2693795228 (Lat/Lon: 53.90141, -9.112269), Templemore which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
526937,795228and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)