TEMPLEMURRY, a parish, in the barony of TYRAWLEY, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles (N.) from Killala, on the road from Ballina to Lacken; containing 1868 inhabitants. It is situated on the bay of Rathfran, contiguous to the bay of Killala, into which the river here empties itself, and comprises 1200 statute acres, chiefly arable. Fairs are held at Rathfran on Aug. 25th and Nov. 11th. The harbour is fit only for small vessels, being dry at low water. The sea being smoother here than at the contiguous bar, some vessels prefer running up here as it is quite sheltered and safe from the sea swells. Summerhill is the residence of T. Palmer, Esq.; and here are the ruins of the fine old house of Palmerstown. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killala, forming part of the union of Lacken; the rectory is appropriate to the dean and the precentor of Killala. The tithes amount to £108, of which one-half is payable to the dean and the precentor, and the other half to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Killala. Ruins exist of the fine old abbey of Rathfran, which was founded for Dominicans in the 12th century: adjoining is a burial-place still used.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Templemurry to another place.
See the parish page on logainm.ie (The Placenames Database of Ireland)
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference G1833932857 (Lat/Lon: 54.238104, -9.253181), Templemurry which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
518339,832857and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)