1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Templemurry contained the following places:
"TEMPLEMURRY, a parish in the barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, province of Connaught, Ireland, 2 miles N.N.W. of Killala. Rathlackan is its post town. The surface consists of good soil, and is crossed by the road from Ballina to Lackan. The bay of Rathfran, near Killala bay, is within the limits, and serves as a harbour for small craft. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Killala, value with Lackan £198. In the Roman Catholic arrangement this parish is united to that of Killala. The principal residence is Summerhill. The ruins of Palmerston House and Rathfran Abbey (founded in the 12th century) are visible. Fairs are held on 25th August and 11th November."
"PALMERSTOWN, a hamlet in the parish of Templemurry, in the barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, province of Connaught, Ireland, 2 miles W.N.W. of Killala. It is a poor little place, and takes its name from the Palmer family, who own the greater part of the surrounding district. Palmerstown House, the seat of Sir W. H. Palmer, Bart., of Kenure Park, was destroyed by fire in 1798."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018