In 1868, the parish of Turlough contained the following places:
"TURLOUGH, a parish in the barony of Carra, county Mayo, province of Connaught, Ireland, 5 miles N.E. of Castlebar, its post town. Loughs Cullin and Conn, which are connected by a pontoon bridge, are within its limits. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Tuam, value £92, in the patronage of the incumbent of Castlebar. The church is in ruins. There are two Roman Catholic chapels, meeting-houses for Wesleyans and Presbyterians, eight public schools, and a police station. The principal residences are Turlough Park and Turlough Cottage. There is a round tower in good preservation. Black marble and limestone are quarried. Fairs are held on 9th May, 13th June, 24th August, and 8th December."