In 1868, the parish of Ballybay contained the following places:
"BALLYBAY, a parish and market town in the baronies of Cremorne and Monaghan, in the county of Monaghan, province of Ulster, Ireland, 9 miles to the S. of Monaghan, and 86 miles from Dublin. It is situated near the centre of the county, at the intersection of the principal roads, and is a station on the Dundalk and Enniskillen railway. The country is pleasant and hilly, with numerous small lakes and extensive bogs. The hill of Bunnanimma, rising 886 feet, is about 4 miles to the south of the town. The linen manufacture, which was introduced about 1750, is the staple occupation of the place. Flax is grown extensively. The parish contains abundance of greenstone and whinstone, with some slate. Lead and silver have also been found, but the mine which was opened has not been worked for many years. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Armagh and Clogher, of the value of £357, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church stands on a hill rising steeply from the lake. Ballybay is the seat of a presbytery, and has two chapels belonging to the Presbyterians. The town, which consists chiefly of one street, contains according to the census of 1861, 297 inhabited houses, with a population of 1,652, of whom 987 are Roman Catholics, 333 belong to the Established Church, 316 are Presbyterians, and 16 of all other persuasions. There is a market-house, a dispensary, and a public library. Petty sessions are occasionally held, and a police station is established here. Saturday is the market day, when large quantities of flax and butter are sold. Fairs for the sale of horses, cattle, &c. are held on the third Saturday of each month. Ballybay House is the seat of Colonel Leslie, the proprietor of the town. There are several other pleasant seats.