TYHALLON, or TEHOLLAND, a parish, partly in the barony of CREMORNE, but chiefly in that of MONAGHAN, county of MONAGHAN, and province of ULSTER, 2 miles (E. N. E.) from Monaghan, on the turnpike road to Armagh and on a branch of the river Blackwater; containing 4846 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 5949½ statute acres of excellent land, (823¼ being within the barony of Cremorne, and 5126¼ within that of Monaghan,) which is nearly all under tillage, there being very little waste land, but to the east there is a tract of bog. The line of the Ulster canal passes through the parish from east to west. There are some limestone quarries, which are used for building and other purposes. The linen manufacture is carried on in private dwellings. Here is a constabulary police station. The gentlemen's seats are Bessmount Park, the residence of A. Nixon Montgomery, Esq.; Dromore, of C. Hawshaw, Esq.; Liscarney, of Major Ross; Coolmain, of J. Goudy, Esq.; and Sallymount, of T. Robinson, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, being the corps of the prebend thereof in the cathedral of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £350. The glebe comprises 40 acres, valued at £80 per ann.: the glebe-house, which is near the church, was improved by the incumbent, in 1820, at an expense of £370. The church is a plain modern structure, built in 1788 at an expense of £277, defrayed by parochial assessment. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; the chapel is a spacious edifice, built in 1827 at an expence of £1000.
The parish school is aided by the incumbent and a legacy of £500 by the late Dr. Maxwell, of Falkland, £150 of which was to build a school-house and the interest of the remainder for the master, &c.: there are three other schools; in all which about 340 children are taught. There is also a private school, in which are about 20 children. The late-Richardson, Esq., bequeathed £100, the interest of which continues to be divided among the poor.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.