Hide

CASTLEJORDAN

hide
Hide

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Castlejordan contained the following places:

"CASTLEJORDAN, a parish partly in the barony of Warrenstown, King's County, and partly in the barony of Upper Moyfenrath, in the county of Meath, province of Leinster, Ireland, 6 miles to the N.E. of Phillipstown. It is situated in a boggy district on the border of Kildare, on the banks of the river Boyne, and was the site of a castle belonging to the Giffords, of which there are sonic remains. In the parish are quarries of gritstone. The living is an impropriate curacy united with that of Ballyboggan, in the diocese of Meath. The church is a modern edifice. The chief residence is Tuberdalv."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018