Drumcullen

Primary tabs

DRUMCULLIN, a parish, in the barony of EGLISH, or FIRCALL, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Frankford, on the road to Parsonstown; containing 3113 inhabitants. At a very early period, a religious establishment existed here, of which St. Barrindeus was abbot about the year 590.

Nearly one-half of the parish is bog, but the land near Droughtville is considered some of the best pasture ground in the barony. A spacious lake covers an ex tensive flat at the foot of a range of thickly planted hills. Contiguous to it is a castle, which can at pleasure be insulated by its waters: it was reduced to its present state of ruin by Cromwell's forces. There are limestone quarries near, in which the fossil remains are abundant and nearly perfect. There are two fairs at Killion; and petty sessions are held at Thomastown every second Thursday. The seats are Droughtville, the principal residence of the Drought family, in a demesne com prising peculiar groups of conical hills, which form a picturesque and pleasing scene; Thomastown, of Capt.

Bennett; Dove Grove, of J. Berry, Esq.; Dove Hill, of- Holmes, Esq.; Clonbela, of-Moloy, Esq.; and Killion, of R. Cassiday, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Meath; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Downshire, and the vicarage forms part of the union of Fircall. The tithes amount to £228. 18. 5., of which £147. 13. 10. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar: there is a glebe of 216a. 3r. 6p., valued at £180. 1. per annum. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Eglish; the chapel, situated at Rath, is a large plain building. There is a school at Killion, which has a house and an acre of land, rent-free, from Mr. Cassiday, and in which are about 40 boys and 25 girls: Mrs. Holmes maintains one at Dove Hill: there are also four pay schools, one of which at Thomastown, has a house rent-free from Mr. Bennett, and in which about 130 children are educated. Adjoining Droughtville, are the remains of the old church of Drumcullin, having a fine entrance arch of curious workmanship., Near Pallis Inn, in this vicinity, are the ruins of a castle; and, towards Frankford, are four other fortified places in a similar state of decay. The plains around are supposed to have been the scene of different sanguinary encounters as within a spade's depth, vast quantities of human bones have been found: each surrounding height has vestiges of ancient fortifications; and on a very strong rath, which commands the whole district, there is an entire fort, most difficult of access, defended by a regular and double course of works, still in good preservation: this rath, being now planted, presents a very striking appearance, At Ballincar is a spa, of the same nature as that of Castleconnell, near Limerick; the water is of a yellow hue, and famous for healing scorbutic ulcers: another spa of the same kind is at Clonbela.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Drumcullen which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Drumcullen to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup