Hide

DRUMCULLEN

hide
Hide

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Drumcullen contained the following places:

"DRUMCULLEN, a parish in the barony of Eglish, in King's County, province of Leinster, Ireland, 4 miles S.W. of Frankford. Tullamore is its post town. The surface is slightly hilly, with much bog extending along the foot of the Slievebloom mountains. It is traversed by the road from Dublin to Birr, and the Little Brosna river. It contains a lough and the villages of Rath and Killion. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Meath, value with Fercall, £2,001, in the patronage of Sir C. Coote. The church is in ruins, and stands near Droughtville. The Roman Catholic chapel is united to that at Eglish. There are several day schools and one National school. The residences are Droughtville, Thomastown, Dovehill, Cloughanmore, and some others. This parish is said to be the site of a religious house, which existed about the close of the 6th century. The remains of earthworks and fortifications are very numerous. The ruined castle on the shore of the lake was destroyed by Cromwell. Here are large limestone quarries, with fossil remains. At Ballincar and Clonbella are mineral waters.

"RATH, a village in the parish of Drumcullen, barony of Eglish, King's County, province of Leinster, Ireland, 5 miles W. of Frankford, on the road to Parsonstown."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018