DUNKERRIN, a parish, in the barony of Clonlisk, King's county, and province of Leinster, 4½ miles (S, W. by W.) from Roserea, on th: main road from Dublin to Limerick; containing 2177 inhabitants; of which number, 127 are in the village. This parish is situated on the confines of the county of Tipperary, by which it is bounded on the east, and comprises 6515 statute acres; of which a considerable portion is bog and waste mountain land. Fairs are held on May 9th, Nov. 3rd, and Dec. 21st; and petty sessions at Shinrone every Tuesday. The village is on the estate of the Rolleston family, whose seat, Franckfort Castle, is contiguous; it is an ancient structure, defended by a regular fortification and fosse. Busherstown is the seat of G. Minchin, Esq.; Newgrove, of Westropp Smith, Esq.; Lisduff, of W. Smith, Esq.; Clyduffe, of T. Spunner, Esq.; Annegrove, of the Rev.W. Minchin; and the Glebe-house, of the Rev. Dr. Hawkins, Dean of Clonfert. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, forming the head of the union of Dunkerrin, Castletown-Ely, Rathnaveoge, and Finglass, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £496. 15. 4¾., and of the entire benefice to £923. 1. 6. There is a glebehouse, with three glebes in the union, comprising altogether 86a. 2r. 30p. The church is a handsome modern structure, erected in 1818, by aid of a loan of £1200 from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising Dunkerrin, Cullenwayne, and Castletown-Ely, in which are chapels at Dunkerrin and Barna. About 80 children are educated in three private schools. Near Dunkerrin is the old castle of Rathnaveoge, and Ballynakill castle, formerly the residence of the Minchin family.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.