KILCUMREAGH, or KILCOMRAGH, a parish, partly in the barony of KILCOURSEY, KING'S county, partly in that of CLONLONAN, but chiefly in that of MOYCASHEL, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3½ miles (E. N. E.) from Moat-a-Grenogue, on the road from Dublin to Athlone; containing 3787 inhabitants. This parish comprises 8065 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, with a small quantity of bog and some limestone. The seats are Ballintobber, the residence of W. Fetherston-H, Esq.; Rosemount, of Lady Nagle; Grouse Lodge, of E. Fetherston-H, Esq.; and Springfield, of J. Henderson, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Ardnorcher; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Downshire. The tithes amount to £249. 15. 8½., of which £148. 0. 7. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar; there is a glebe of 21 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Kilmanaghan and Kilcumreagh, and has a chapel at Ballagh. About 90 children are educated in three private schools. A monastery of Dominican friars was founded at Ballintubber, in 1488, by Edmund de Lantu Laici, which was granted to Henry Matthews at the dissolution. Here are the ruins of a church, and of an old fort; also several raths.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.