KILLADERRY, a parish, in the barony of LOWER-PHILIPSTOWN, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, on the road from Dublin to Tullamore; containing, with the post-town of Philipstown, 2862 inhabitants. This parish comprises about 3000 statute acres, of which 2149 are applotted under the tithe act; it is intersected by the Grand Canal, and contains a considerable quantity of bog. Here is the Fort, the residence of J. B. Smith, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare, united to the rectory of Ballykeane, and in the patronage of the Gifford family, who are impropriators of the rectory; the tithes amount to £180, of which two-thirds are payable to the impropriators, and one-third to the vicar. The church is a small plain building. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Philipstown, comprising the parishes of Killaderry, Ballycommon, and Kilclonfert, and containing two chapels, one at Philipstown and the other at Kill. There are three places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. At Philipstown is a school of about 90 children, under the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity, by whom the school-house was erected, at an expense of £250, on ground given by the Countess Fitzwilliam; it is under the. patronage of Lord Ponsonby. There are also two other public schools, in which are about 150 children, a private school of about 30 children, and a Sunday school. Some remains of the old castle yet exist. See PHILIPSTOWN.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.