KILMANAGHAN, a parish, partly in the barony of CLONLONAN, county of WESTMEATH, but chiefly in that of KILCOURSEY, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER; containing, with part of the post-town of Moate, 3414 inhabitants, of which number, 1428 are in the county of Westmeath. This parish, which is also called Kilmonagh, comprises 6626 statute acres, of which a considerable quantity is bog; agriculture is in an improved state. There is a large woollen cloth manufactory in the parish. The principal seats are Kilfylan, the residence of E. W. Birmingham, Esq.; Ballinaminton, of Major G. Marsh; Telford, of W. Greenville, Esq.; Ballyboilan, of Mrs. Armstrong; Brookville, of D. Byrne, Esq.; Moyally, of M. Fox, Esq.; and Rockfield, of H. Higgins, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Meath; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Downshire; the vicarage forms part of the union of Ardnurcher; and there is also a perpetual cure, forming part of the union of Clara. The tithes amount to £247.13.10¼., of which £147. 13. 10¼ is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar; the perpetual curate receives a stipend of £80 from the vicar and £20 from Primate Boulter's augmentation fund. The glebe comprises 53 acres, valued at £106 per annum. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Kilcumreagh, and called the union of Tubber and Kilmanaghan, in each of which is a chapel. There is a public school, in which about 60 children are educated; also four private schools, in which are 260 children. Part of the old church remains, with a burial-ground attached; and at Gurteen are the ruins of a castle.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.