KILMURRY-ELY, a parish, in the barony of CLONLISK, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 21/2 miles (N. by W.) from Shinrone, on the road from Roscrea to Banagher; containing 1504 inhabitants and 4077 statute acres. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, forming part of the union of Shinrone: the tithes amount to £238. 15. 43/4. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Shinrone, and has a chapel at Brusna. About 50 children are educated in a private school.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.