The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Templeharry contained the following places:

"TEMPLEHARRY, a parish in the barony of Clonlisk, King's County, province of Leinster, Ireland, 3 miles N.N.W. of Moneygall. The surface is very boggy. The parish is crossed by the road from Dublin to Limerick, and by the river Ollitrim. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Killaloe, value with Cullenwaine, £299, in the patronage of the bishop. The church was erected in 1814 by means of a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. The ruins of the old church stand on an eminence. In the Roman Catholic arrangement this parish is united to that of Dunkerrin. There are one public and two private schools. The principal residences are Emell Castle, Ballintemple, Foxborough, Clonlohan, and Silver Hill. There are traces of a Danish rath at Wolfe Hill, near which the English were defeated by the O'Carrolls during the Revolution."

"TEMPLEHARRY, a parish, partly in the barony of IKERRIN, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, but chiefly in that of CLONLISK, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (N. W.) from Moneygall, on the mail coach road from Dublin to Limerick, and on the small river Ollitrim (which forms its boundary on the south-west); containing 1156 inhabitants, and comprising 6480 statute acres, of which 3564 are reclaimable bog. Agriculture is greatly improved; there is abundance of limestone. Emell Castle, the seat of J. Stoney, Esq., commands from its summit a very extensive view; at its rear is the ancient castle. Ballintemple is the residence of R. Burriss, Esq.; Foxborough, of the Rev.J. G. Purcell; Clonlohan, of the Rev. J. Studdart; Rathfenny, of M. Andrews, Esq.; and Silver Hill, of Mrs. Smith. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, episcopally united, in 1799, to the rectory and vicarage of Cullenwayne, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £141.14.9., and the entire tithes of the union to £369.4.7¼. The glebe-house was erected by aid of a gift of £450 and a loan of £184, in 1812, from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 12 acres. The church is a plain modern structure, built by aid of a loan of £200 from the same Board, in 1814. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Dunkerrin. The parochial schools at Parke, in which are about 80 children, are aided by private subscriptions; the schoolhouse is an excellent slated building, with accommodations for the master and mistress, erected at an expense of £150, of which £100 was a grant from the Lord- Lieutenant's school fund. There are two other schools, in which 90 children are taught. The remains of the ancient church and glebe-house, being situated on an eminence, have a picturesque appearance. Here is the remarkable rath called Wolfe Hill, near which is a pass through a bog, formerly thickly wooded, in which a large party of the army of Wm. III. was destroyed, by the O'Carrolls, the native sept of this district, from which circumstance the spot has since been called, the "bloody Togher.""

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018