County Offaly (Kings)
"King's county, a county of Ireland, bounded N by E. and W. Meath, E by Kilkenny and Queen's county, S by Tipperary, and W by Galway; 43 . long and 39 broad, containing 707 square miles. More than 1/3 of the county is occupied by bogs and mountains; the soil of the arable lands is very fertile, and consists either of a deep moor, or a shallow gravely loam. Principal rivers, the Shannon, Little Brosna, and Greater Brosna. It sends 2 members to parliament. Pop. 132,319. Chief town, Phillip's town."
[From The New London Gazetteer (1826)]
The transcription for this county from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- The Ireland Genealogy Project's County Offaly (Kings) page, and its listing of the Project's available Offaly Records.
- The Irish Ancestors website (subscription) has the following types of records: State Registration of Births, Marriages & Deaths, Census returns, Land records, Church records, Genealogical Office records, Gravestone inscriptions, Directories, Newspapers, Wills, Deeds, and Occupations.
- Irish Ancestors' extensive County Offaly (Kings) website.
- The LDS FamilySearch Wiki's Ireland Online Genealogy Records for County Offaly (Kings).
- Graham Jaunay's On-line Irish Names Research Directory
- The Fianna website's pages for County Offaly (King's Co.) provide important addresses and extensive information about online and other genealogy resources.
- Roots Ireland (subscription) "offers access to a unique database of more than 20 million Irish records". Its Offaly (Kings) coverage includes Baptismal/Birth Records, Marriage Records, Burial/Death Records, Gravestone Inscriptions, Griffith's Valuation (Free Access), and Census Substitutes.
- On-line Irish Names Research Directory - surname listing for this county