BALLYNAKILL, a parish, in the barony of HALF-BALLYMOE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 61/4 miles (W.) from Roscommon; containing 4315 inhabitants. This parish is situated near the road from Roscommon to Dunmore, and comprises about 3000 acres of arable land, about 20,000 acres of mountain pasture, and nearly the same quantity of waste, mountain, and bog. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, and forms part of the union of Donamon; the rectory is impropriate in Viscount Ranelagh. The tithes amount to £230. 10., payable in moieties to the impropriator and the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Glinsk and Kilcroan, which comprises the parishes of Ballynakill, Clonigormican, Ardclare, Oran, and Kilcroan, and contains two chapels, one of which is situated at Glinsk, in this parish. There are five hedge schools, in which are about 270 boys and 70 girls.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.