DROMARD, a parish, in the barony of TYRERAGH, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (W.) from Collooney, on the road from Sligo to Ballina; containing 2560 inhabitants. Cromwell took this place, and burnt the old bawn of Tanragoe. In the reign of Wm. III., the castle of Longford successfully resisted two attacks of a detachment of the troops under Major Vaughau; numerous skeletons of men and horses are constantly being dug up in the demesne, where the battle was fought. The parish comprises 4923 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and there is a considerable tract of unreclaimed mountain land. Here are quarries of limestone and granite of the best description.
Fairs are held at Beltra on the Monday before Ash- Wednesday, May 21st, and August 20th. The principal seats are Tanragoe, the residence of Col. Irwin, a very old mansion which commands remarkably fine views, of the bays of Sligo, Donegal, and Killybegs, and of Tellen. Head, Benbullen, and Knocknaree; and the glebe-house, of the Rey. J. Stack: Longford House, the seat of Sir J. Crofton, Bart., was burnt in 1816. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killala, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £9,00; The glebe-house was built ia 1833, by aid of a gift of £350 and a loan of £450 from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 15½ acres. The church, a neat plain building with a square tower, was erected by the grandfather of Col. Irwin, and subsequently enlarged in 1818, by aid of a loan of £600 from the same board. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a good slated chapel at Altnelvick. Here is a school of about 40 boys and 40 girls, under the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity; the school-house is a stone slated building, erected at an expense of about £250, on an acre of land given by Col. Irwin. The Rev. Dr. Benton, late rector of the parish, left £200 late currency, which is now vested in the Commissioners of Charitable Bequests, and the interest distributed among the poor at Easter.
Near the river of Ballinley are the ruins of an old religious house; and there are some remains of the old church, near which is a holy well, dedicated to St. Patrick.
In the demesne of Longford is an old R. C. chapel, now disused; it was built by the O'Douds, from whom the Croftons inherit the estate.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dromard to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference G5765030371 (Lat/Lon: 54.220529, -8.649983), Dromard which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
557650,830371and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)