DRUMRATT, a parish, in the barony of CORRAN, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3 miles (S.) from Ballymote, on the road from Boyle to Ballymote; containing 1606 inhabitants. It is on the confines of the county of Roscommon, and comprises 3682 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The lands are principally under tillage, and there is a due portion of good grazing land, with a sufficient tract of bog for fuel. Limestone is quarried for agricultural purposes. Abbeyville is the residence of J. Fleming, Esq. It is in the diocese of Achonry; the rectory is impropriate in Sir H. Montgomery, Bart., and the vicarage forms part of the union of Emlyfadd. The tithes amount to £204. 13. 11., of which £95. 3. 3. is payable to the impropriator, and £109.10. 8. to the vicar.
In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Tumore; the chapel is at Culfader. There are two private schools, in which are about 90 boys and 40 girls. An abbey was founded here by St. Fechin, of which the last abbot of whom there is any record, died in 1016; it afterwards became the parish church, and there are still some remains.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Drumrat to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference G6844309728 (Lat/Lon: 54.035859, -8.482371), Drumrat which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
568443,809728and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)