KILLARAGHT, a parish, in the half-barony of COOLAVIN, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (S. W.) from Boyle, on the road from that place to Frenchpark containing 1986 inhabitants. This place is said to derive its name from a nunnery founded here by St. Patrick for St. Athracta, sister of St. Coeman, who received the veil from him in 470. It is situated on the southern shore of Lough Gara, and consists chiefly of pasture land. The principal seats are Lisserlough, the residence of Jacob Powell, Esq.; Ardgallan, of Harlow P. Baker, Esq.; and Ratarman, of J. Flanagan, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Achonry, episcopally united to those of Kilfree and Kilshalvea; the rectory is impropriate in Viscount Lorton. The tithes amount to £150, of which £56. 9. 3½. is payable to the impropriator, and £93. 10. 8½. to the vicar. There is a glebe of 3½ acres. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Gurteen, and has a chapel at Cloonlagh. About 90 children are educated in a school that is aided by Lord Lorton. At Templeoran are the ruins of a church, with a burial-place attached.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Killaraght to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference G7321000895 (Lat/Lon: 53.956777, -8.408848), Killaraght which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
573210,800895and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)