In 1868, the parish of Killoran contained the following places:
"KILLORAN, a parish in the barony of Leyny, county Sligo, province of Connaught, Ireland, 6 miles N.N.W. of Ballymote. It is 5 miles long by 4 broad, and contains the village of Coolany, its post town. The surface is mountainous and boggy, but is rapidly improving through drainage. The Coolooney and Owenmore rivulets drain the interior. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Achonry, value with another, £388, in the patronage of the bishop. The church was a gift by the late Board of First Fruits in 1766. The Roman Catholic chapel is united to that of Kilvarnet. There are two Sunday and six day schools in the parish."
"COOLANEY, a postal village in the parish of Killoran, barony of Laney, in the county of Sligo, province of Connaught, Ireland, 9 miles to the S.W. of Sligo. Here is a dispensary within the Sligo Poor-law Union."