KILMACOEN, or KILMACOWEN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER-CARBERY, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4½ miles (S. W.) from Sligo, on the Ballysadere channel; containing 2296 inhabitants.
The name signifies the "Church of the Sons of Oen." St. Diermit, eldest brother of St. Cormac, founded a church here on lands given by Flann-Dubh, dynast of the Hy Fiacrii. The parish comprises 3393 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £5132 per ann. The soil is light and stony, and the land is principally under tillage: there is a small quantity of bog. Here is Clover Hill, the seat of W. Creighton Chambers, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of St. John's, Sligo: the tithes amount to £180. 15. 4½. In the R. C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of St. John's, Sligo. There are two public schools, one of which is supported by Mrs. Chambers. The burial-ground of the old church, which is in ruins, is still used for interment. Here are some druidical altars and cromlechs: and a golden torques was found here some time since.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
Knocknahur on wikipedia
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilmacowen to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference G6558732675 (Lat/Lon: 54.241826, -8.52858), Kilmacowen which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
565587,832675and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)