KILVARNET, a parish, in the barony of LENEY, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (N. by W.) from Ballymote, on the mountain road from Sligo to Ballina; containing 2360 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the river Owenmore, comprises 2465 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The surface is mountainous, and agriculture is in a backward state, but a considerable tract of mountain is gradually being reclaimed; there is a moderate quantity of bog, but little more than what is requisite for fuel; limestone is quarried both for building and agricultural purposes. The principal seats are Temple House, that of Col. A. Perceval, a handsome modern mansion, on the border of a fine lake and in an extensive and well-planted demesne, in which the ruins of the ancient house of Knights Templars, from which it takes its name, form an interesting object on the margin of the lake; Annachmore, of Major C. K. O'Hara, a handsome residence delightfully situated in an ample demesne enlivened by the windings of the river Owenmore, over which is a handsome bridge, and commanding, from the summit of Cloyn Hill, a fine view of the course of the river, the distant hills of Knocknaree and Benbulben, the Ox mountains, and the picturesque hills of Knocknashee and Knockmuckleta, with much of the fine country in the neighbourhood; and Summerton, of the Rev. T. D. Carrol. The linen manufacture is carried on by individuals to a small extent, and there is a bleachgreen at Ballinacarrow, where fairs are held on May 19th, June 16th, Oct. 14th, and Dec. 14th for cattle, pigs, and yarn; fairs are also held at Templehouse. Petty ses- sions are held at Coolany, where a penny post has been established. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Achonry, forming part of the union of Killoran; the rectory is appropriate to the deanery. The tithes amount to £76. 12. 3¾., of which £35. 1. 6½ is payable to the dean of Achonry, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Collooney; the chapel is at Ballinacarrow. There is a place of worship for Baptists. About 400 children are taught in four public schools, of which two are supported by Col. Perceval and Major O'Hara; and there is a private school, in which are about 50 children. The preceptory of Knights Templars, anciently called Druimahradh and subsequently Teachtemple, was founded in the reign of Henry III., and on the suppression of that order was given by Edw. II. to the Knights Hospitallers.
There are also some ruins of the old churches of Killoran and Kilvarnet.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilvarnet to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference G6156721492 (Lat/Lon: 54.141075, -8.588802), Kilvarnet which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
561567,821492and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)