ROSSINVER, a parish, partly in the lower halfbarony of CARBERY, county of SLIGO, but chiefly in that of ROSSCLOGHER, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5½ miles (S. S. W.) from Ballyshannon, on the road to Manor-Hamilton; containing 13,370 inhabitants. The parish is situated at the northern extremity of the county, where it touches the bay of Donegal, and comprises 49,179½ statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land in the southern part is principally in pasture, and some successful attempts at irrigation have been made.
Towards the sea it is more generally under tillage: the soil is tolerably fertile, and the system of agriculture is improving. Limestone is found in the mountains and freestone in the lower lands. The surrounding scenery is beautifully diversified, and from some of the higher grounds are numerous interesting views, combining features of much grandeur. Woodville House, the seat of J. Dickson, Esq., is a handsome mansion, situated in a highly cultivated demesne embellished with extensive and thriving plantations; and near the small village of Tullaghan, on the sea-shore, are several handsome seats and pleasing villas. Of these, the principal are Tynte Lodge, the residence of J. P. Tynte, Esq.; Fair View, of the Rev. H. M. Nash; Dungarbery Lodge, of the Rev. J. L. Dickson, vicar of the parish; and several neat bathing-lodges. On Lough Melvin is Mount Prospect, the seat of T. Conolly, Esq., beautifully situated and commanding some fine views; about a mile from Kinlough is Brook Hill, that of Capt. Johnston, romantically situated under the brow of the mountain; and one mile farther is Glenade House, the handsome residence of L. Tottenham, Esq. Lough Melvin is a beautiful sheet of water, studded with picturesque islands, and celebrated for the gillaroo trout, which is found here in abundance. The river Drowse, which flows from the lake into the sea, and separates this county from that of Donegal, abounds with salmon of choice quality, which is in season during the whole of the year. Fairs are held at Kinlough on the 6th of every month; at Tullaghan, in May, Aug., Nov., and Dec.; a fair is held at Moague on the 1st of July, and petty sessions at Kinlough on alternate Mondays.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is partly appropriate to the see, and partly impropriate in Owen Wynne, Esq. The tithes amount to £450, of which £140 is payable to the bishop, £140 to the impropriator, and £170 to the vicar. The glebe, situated in the parish of Killasnet, six miles distant, comprises 320 acres, valued at £170 per annum. The church, for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have granted £406, is a neat plain edifice. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms the three separate benefices of Kinlough, Glenade, and Ballaghameehan, in each of which is a chapel. About 560 children are taught in five public schools, of which the parochial school is aided by the incumbent, and two are supported by Sir Robert Booth Gore, Bart., and - La Touche, Esq.; there are also 12 private schools, in which are about 550 children, and a Sunday school. There are only slight vestiges of Dungarbery castle, an extensive building, erected by Isabel Clancy in the reign of Elizabeth within a quarter of a mile from the sea; one gable end with an arched doorway only remains. On an island in Lough Melvin are the remains of the castle of Rossclogher, and on the eastern shore are the ruins of the ancient church of Rossinver, supposed to have been that of the nunnery of Doiremell, founded by St. Tigernach for his mother, St. Mella. At Keelogues are the ruins of an old church, and at Conwell is a cemetery, still used by the Roman Catholics as a burial-place. On the Oakfield estate is a mineral spring, and another at Tullaghan; and about a mile from the latter is a sulphureous spring in much repute.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rossinver to another place.
The entry for Rossinver from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference G7390549688 (Lat/Lon: 54.395151, -8.402481), Rossinver which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
573905,849688and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)