SKREEN, or SKRINE, a parish, in the barony of TYRERAGH, county of SLIGO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (E.) from Dromore-West, on the road from Sligo to Ballina, and on Ardnaglass harbour; containing 4567 inhabitants. This parish was anciently called Knock-na-moile, and was granted by Tipraid, Chief of Hy-Fiachrii, to St. Columb: it obtained its present name from a shrine of St.Adamnan erected here. From its contiguity to the shore of the Atlantic, great facility is afforded of obtaining valuable manure: agriculture is very bad, the peasantry being adverse to the adoption of any improvements, though the land is in itself good; there is some bog in the mountains.
At Ardnaglass is a good limestone quarry, from which some of the hewn stone work of the new chapel at Ballina was procured; it bears the chisel well and takes a good polish. Petty sessions are held at Ardnaglass once a fortnight; and fairs for cattle on June 21st, Aug. 13th, Sept. 23rd, and Nov. 12th. Leckfield is the residence of Lewis G. Jones, Esq.; Seafort, of R. Wood, Esq.; and Tubberpatrick, of Jeremiah Jones, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killala, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of Tuam; the tithes amount to £480. The glebehouse was built in 1807 by the then incumbent, at a cost of £680; the glebe comprises 21 acres, valued at £52. 10. per annum. The church is a neat building with a square tower, and was erected in 1819, near the ruins of the former, by aid of a loan of £1200 from the late Board of First Fruits: the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £180 for its repair.
The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains a chapel. On the glebe is a female school aided by the incumbent; a school at Farnaharpy is under the patronage of the Rev. T. Webber, who built the school-house; and there are four other public schools, in all which about 280 children are taught. There are also three private schools, in which are about 210 children. Tradition reports that once there were seven churches within the parish, and that there existed an establishment for religious instruction; there are appearances of the foundations of many buildings. The old castle of Ardnaglass, of which there are considerable remains, was originally the residence of the Odowds, a family then of great note, and was also in the possession of the Mac Swineys; it is now the property of J. Jones, Esq., whose ancestor came over with Oliver Cromwell.
At Skreen is a very fine well, having over it a monument inscribed, "Eugenius McDonnail, vicarius hujus vile, M. F. F. 1591:" it is in excellent preservation.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The Wikipedia entry for Skreen.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Skreen to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference G5419930677 (Lat/Lon: 54.222982, -8.702929), Skreen which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
554199,830677and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)