The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
In 1868, the parish of Skreen contained the following places:
"SKREEN, a parish in the barony of Tireragh, county Sligo, province of Connaught, Ireland, 6 miles N.W, of Coolaney. Dromore West is its post town. The surface, which extends along Ardnaglass harbour, and among the Ox mountains, is generally good, but includes some extent of bog. The road from Sligo to Ballina crosses the parish. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Killala, value £412, in the patronage of Trinity College. The church was built in 1819, near the site of the old church, by means of a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. There is a Roman Catholic chapel. There are four public and two or three private schools. Leekfield is the principal residence. In the vicinity are ruins of Ardnaglass Castle, formerly a seat of the O'Dowd family. Fairs are held on the 21st June, 13th August, 23rd September, and 12th November."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018