Hide

Athassel

hide
Hide
ATHASSEL, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 3½ miles (W.) from Cashel; containing, with the parish of Relickmurry, 5498 inhabitants. This place, which is situated on the river Suir, was distinguished for its priory, founded towards the close of the 12th century by William Fitz Aldelm de Burgho, for Canons Regular of the order of St. Augustine, and dedicated to St.

Edmund the King and Martyr. In 1319 the town was set on fire by Lord John, brother of Lord Maurice Fitz- Thomas; and, in 1329, Bryan O'Brien burned it to the ground: there are still some slight traces of its site.

The priory, which was amply endowed, and of which the abbot sat in parliament, continued to flourish till the reign of Edw. VI., when it was dissolved; and in that of Philip and Mary it was, with other possessions, granted to Thomas, Earl of Ormonde. The remains are extensive and highly interesting, and shew the buildings to have been distinguished for elegance and magnificence, and equal, if not superior, to any monastic structure in the kingdom. In this monastery was interred Richard de Burgho, second Earl of Ulster, called, from his complexion, the Red, who, after giving a splendid entertainment to the nobles and his friends at Kilkenny, in 1326, retired hither and soon after died.

Castle Park, the seat of R. Creaghe, Esq., is a spacious and well-built mansion, pleasantly situated in a richly planted demesne, in which are some remains of an ancient castle; Ballycarron, the seat of T. Butler, Esq., is situated in an extensive and finely planted demesne; Golden Hills is the castellated residence of H. White, Esq.; and Spring mount, that of J. White, Esq. Suir Castle, the residence of J. Robbing, Esq., is situated on the banks of the Suir, and within the demesne are the ruins of a castle with a square tower. The other seats are Gaulty View, the residence of F. Maasey, Esq.; Ballyslatteen, of R. Butler, Esq.; and Hymenstown, of R. Scully, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Cashel, and is a rectory, forming part of the union of Relickmurry: the tithes, including those of the parish of Relickmurry, amount to £550. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Golden.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Hide
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Athassel which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S0095235455 (Lat/Lon: 52.470965, -7.986717), Athassel which are provided by: