Ballingarry - Lower Ormond
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, to which the vicarage of Uskeane was episcopally united in 1772 and 1809, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in M. Thompson, Esq. The tithes amount to £263. 2. 6., of which £159 is payable to the impropriator, and £104. 2. 6. to the vicar; and the entire tithes of the benefice, payable to the vicar., are £208. The church is an ancient edifice with a spire and minarets, for the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £157. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union of Burris-o-kane: the chapel is situated at the Pike, and is of recent erection.
A school was established in 1834 by the vicar, by whom, aided by a few private subscriptions, it is supported. There are some remains of the ancient castle of Ballingarry, from which it appears to have been of great strength and. magnitude.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ballingarry - Lower Ormond to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R9795796291 (Lat/Lon: 53.017623, -8.031178), Ballingarry - Lower Ormond which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)