BALLYBACON, a parish, in the barony of IFFA and OFFA-WEST, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Clogheen: containing 2970 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the mail coach road from Cork to Dublin, and near the river Suir; and comprises 4158 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The river Tarr flows through it; and within its limits is Kilgrogy, the residence of S. Clutterbuck, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore; the rectory is part of the union of Kilrush and corps of the archdeaconry of Lismore, and the vicarage is united to that of Tubrid. The tithes amount to £461. 10. 1., of which £283. 0. 10. is payable to the archdeacon, and £178. 9. 3. to the vicar.
There is no church; the glebe, which belongs to the archdeacon, comprises 17¾ acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union of Ardfinnan: two chapels are now being erected. There are two pay schools, in which are about 100 boys and 80 girls. Here is a well, called Ponl-a-Tarr, 48 feet in depth, from which there is a constant and copious flow of water.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ballybacon to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S0812912745 (Lat/Lon: 52.266823, -7.88166), Ballybacon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)