BALLYCLERAHAN, a parish, in the barony of IFFA and OFFA-EAST, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S. W.) from Fethard; containing 568 inhabitants. This parish, which forms part of the lands belonging to the see of Cashel, is situated on the road from Cashel to Clonmel, and is chiefly remarkable for its castle of great strength, said to have been built by Mocklerough More, or the "great Mockler," whose territories extended from this place to Nine-mile House, or, as it was then called, Mockler's Grange. This castle, opposite to which the Butler family erected a strong fortress on their own estate, was besieged by Cromwell, who in vain attempted to make any impression upon it, from an eminence since called Crugg Denial Noi, or the "Rock of the Nine Soldiers," from the loss of nine of his men who were killed by a discharge from the castle; but changing his position during the night, he assaulted it in the morning and obtained possession of it after an obstinate resistance. Mockler and his second son fell bravely defending the castle, and his eldest son, being taken prisoner, was hanged at the gate; another of his sons with a few of the family, escaped to France, but the rest of the garrison were put to the sword. The remains consist of a lofty square tower in one of the angles of the court, which is enclosed with very strong and high walls of stone; also part of a dwelling-house within the area, and, on the outside, the ruins of a chapel near the gateway. The parish comprises 1038 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, and forms part of the union and corps of the deanery of Cashel; the tithes amount to £75. 0. 8. There is no church; the inhabitants attend divine service in the adjoining parish of Newchapel. The glebe comprises 11 acres. The R. C.
parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; the chapel is a spacious building. There are two pay schools, in which are about 70 boys and 20 girls.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.