It is situated on the turnpike road from Nenagh to Cloghjordan, and comprises about 650 acres, as applotted under the tithe act. There is a considerable tract of bog, and limestone abounds in the parish.
Ballygibbon, the residence of D. E. Young, Esq., and Glanahilty Castle, the property of J. C. Fitzgerald, Esq., and now in the occupation of W. Kennedy, Esq., are the principal gentlemen's seats. A brewery at Bantis is conducted on an extensive scale by Edward Kennedy, Esq., who has also an extensive distillery at Cloghjordan.
It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, and is part of the union of Ballymackey: the tithes amount to £10 L 10. 9¼. There are some remains of the ancient church. In the R. C, divisions it forms part of the union or district of Toomavarra or Aghnameadle; the chapel is situated in the parish of Bally mackey.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ballygibbon to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R9421384541 (Lat/Lon: 52.912019, -8.08676), Ballygibbon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)