BALLYGRIFFIN, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 3½ miles (W.N.W.) from Cashel; containing 1383 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Suir, which is here crossed by a bridge, and comprises 2778 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which 960 acres are bog. Lisheen, the seat of Sir J. J. Fitzgerald, Bart., is pleasantly situated in a well-planted demesne. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, and is part of the union of Relickmurry or Athassel 3 the tithes amount to £191. 8. 7. In the R. C, divisions it forms part of the union or district of Annacarthy. There is a pay school, in which are about 50 boys and 30 girls. There are some remains of a castle, near which are the ruins of an ancient church or chapel.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ballygriffin to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S0223842632 (Lat/Lon: 52.535453, -7.967756), Ballygriffin which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)