Hide

Ballynaclogh

hide
Hide
BALLYNACLOUGH, a parish, in the barony of UPPER-ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (S. E.) from Nenagh; containing 1149 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Arra, which falls into the Shannon at Drominear, and comprises 3701 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is all arable and pasture, the soil fertile, and the system of agriculture much improved. Limestone abounds, and a marble quarry has recently been reopened on the demesnes of Debsborough and Ballynaclough, with a prospect of its being extensively worked; the marble is both of red and grey colour, and of very fine quality. There is a small corn-mill. Debsborough, the seat of J. Bayly, Esq., is pleasantly situated in a demesne tastefully laid out and well planted: the other seats are Ballynaclough, that of R. N. Bayly, Esq., and Bayly Farm, of Mrs. Bayly. A constabulary police force has been stationed in the parish. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, united, since the foundation of the deanery, to the entire rectories of Dromi- near and Kilkeary, and the vicarage of Terryglass, which four parishes constitute the union of Ballynaclough and the corps of the deanery of Killaloe, in the patronage of the Crown: the rectory is impropriate in the Rev.

Daniel and Mrs. Wall, and the Misses Elizabeth, and Harriet Hardy: the tithes amount to £235, of which £156. 13. 4. is payable to the impropriators, and £78. 6. 8. to the dean; and the tithes of the whole benefice amount to £408. 6. 8. The church, a neat modern edifice, was erected by aid of a gift of £500 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1815. The glebe-house is situated on a glebe of 7a. 1r. 18½ p., and there is also a glebe of 15 acres in Terryglass. In the R.C.

divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Kilmore; the chapel is a modern building, situated on the townland of Ballyquiveane. There is a parochial school of about 20 boys and 20 girls, supported by the dean and John Bayly, Esq.,; and there are two pay schools, in which are about 80 boys and 10 girls. The poor have the benefit of the dispensaries at Nenagh and Silvermines. There are some remains of the old church adjoining the present structure, and also of the castle of Ballynaclough, which have a picturesque effect.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Hide
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Ballynaclogh which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R8940775145 (Lat/Lon: 52.827515, -8.15789), Ballynaclogh which are provided by: