BURRISNEFARNEY, a parish, partly in the barony of IKERRIN, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, but chiefly in the barony of CLONLISK, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 1½ mile (W.) from Moneygall; containing 269 inhabitants. This parish is situated near the high road from Dublin to Limerick, which runs on the north-west, and is bounded on the south-east by the Devil's Bit range of mountains, near which the little river Allitrim has its source, which separates the parish from that of Aghnameadle on the west, and abounds with fine trout. It comprises 4138 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3438 per annum, exclusive of waste. The land is good, and, being chiefly in the hands of gentlemen, is much improved and in grass; there is very little bog, not more than sufficient to supply the inhabitants with fuel. The gentlemen's seats are Loughton, formerly the residence of T. Ryder Pepper, Esq., and now of Lieut.-Gen. Lord Bloomfield, who is making extensive additions and improvements to the house and demesne; Thorn Vale, of George Garvey, Esq.; Barnagrotty, of J. Tydd Abbott, Esq.; White Ville, of R. White, Esq.; and Larch Vale, the neat residence of the Rev. W. Gresson. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, united by act of council to the vicarage of Bourney or Bourchin: the tithes amount to £184.12. 3½. The church is a neat modern building, with a metal roof, situated contiguous to the Loughton demesne, and erected under the patronage of T. R. Pepper, Esq., to whose memory it contains a handsome marble tablet. In the R. C. divisions, also, it forms part of the union or district of Bourney. The parochial school, on the Laughton demesne, was founded and is partly supported by a donation of £20 per annum from Mrs. Pepper, sister of Lord Bloomfield and widow of T. R. Pepper, Esq.; about 50 girls are taught in it. The Rev. Kennedy O'Kennedy, late rector of the union, bequeathed £500 to the poor of this parish and Bourney, to be disposed of for their benefit at the discretion of the rector and churchwardens; but no part of it has yet been received. A parochial relief fund now exists, founded on the plan of the Rev. Dr. Chalmers. There are some remains of an old castle on the Loughton demesne.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Borrisnafarney to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S0312277002 (Lat/Lon: 52.844299, -7.954406), Borrisnafarney which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)