BURRIS-O-KANE, or BURROS-O-KEANE, a post-town and parish, in the barony of LOWER-ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 12¾ miles (W. by N.) from Roscrea, and 71¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Dublin; containing 2635 inhabitants. This town is situated on the road from Nenagh to Portumna and Banagher, and of late years has undergone much improvement; many new houses have been built, and others are in contemplation. Fairs are held on the 26th of April, June, and September, and on Dec. 15th. Petty sessions are held every Saturday; and here is a chief station of the constabulary police. There is a bridewell, comprising two small cells, a day room, and a cell for females, but it is on a confined plan and in a bad situation. The land is principally under an improving system of tillage: there is a considerable extent of bog, in detached portions. In the townland of Tumbricane is a quarry of limestone of superior quality, which is mostly used for tombstones and building. The principal seats are Arran Hill, the property of the Marquess of Ormonde, but in the occupation of T. G. Stoney, Esq.; Greyfort, the property of - Saunders, Esq.; Killavalla, the seat of R. Johnston Stoney, Esq.; and Bushey Park, of T. Towers, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £185. 2. 4¾. The church is a plain structure, built by aid of a loan of £500 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1812, and for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £631. 17. 2. The glebe-house was built at the same time, by a gift of £400 and a loan of £300 from the Board: the glebe comprises 11¾ acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, which comprises also the parishes of Eglish and Ballingarry, and contains a chapel in each parish; that of Burris-O'Kane, now in course of erection, will be a commodious and handsome building. The parochial schools are aided by the rector; and there are a free school and two schools aided by private subscription. About 140 boys and 90 girls are taught in these schools; and there are two private pay schools, in which are about 30 of each sex. A fever hospital and dispensary are maintained in the usual manner. There are considerable remains of a square tower castle, called Tumbricane, which appears to have been of great strength.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Borrisokane to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R9009094313 (Lat/Lon: 52.99976, -8.148337), Borrisokane which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Borrisokane Poor Law Union and Workhouse - Information on the Borrisokane Workhouse.