About 480 acres are common; there is a very small portion of bog, and of the remainder, by far the greater portion is arable and under tillage; the soil is light and rests on a substratum of limestone. The gentlemen's seats are Ashley Park, the residence of G. Atkinson, Esq., and Prior Park, of W. Waller, Esq., both richly planted demesnes; East Prospect, of J. S. Handcock, Esq.; and Carney Castle, of A. French, Esq. The last is a handsome modern house on part of the site of the ancient castle, now in ruins, and formerly for many years the residence of the Grace family; it was attacked by Cromwell, and becoming forfeited, was re-purchased by the same family, and has descended by inheritance to its present proprietor. The parish is in the diocese of Killaloe, and is a rectory and vicarage, forming part of the union, of Finnoe: the tithes amount to £212. 6. 2. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Cloghjordan. There is a pay school, in which are about 80 boys and 40 girls. There are some slight remains of a religious foundation, probably of a priory, from which the parish may have taken its name, but no record of it is extant.
Yy CLOGHRAN, or CLOGHRAN-SWORDS, a parish, in the barony of COOLOCK, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 1½ mile (S.) from Swords; containing 613 inhabitants. This parish, which takes the adjunct of Swords to distinguish it from another parish of the same name south-west from Dublin, is situated on the road from Dublin to Swords. Limestone abounds, and near the church is a quarry in which various fossils are found; under this quarry are copper and lead ores, but neither has yet been profitably worked. Baskin Hill, the seat of J. Tymons, Esq., was built by the present Bishop of Dromore, who resided there while rector of St. Doulough's; and Castle Moat, the seat of J.
Mac Owen, Esq., takes its name from an extensive moat, or rath, within the demesne, from which is a fine view of the country towards the village of the Man-of-War and the sea, including Lambay Island, Ireland's Eye, Howth, and the Dublin and Wicklow mountains. In 1822, some ancient silver and copper coins, Danish pipes, pikes, and musket bullets were ploughed up near the spot. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Dublin, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes amount to £184. 12. 3¾. The church is a very plain and simple edifice. The glebe-house was rebuilt in 1812, by aid of a gift of £400 and a loan of £392 from the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe comprises seven acres of cultivated land. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Swords.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cloghprior to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R8606088484 (Lat/Lon: 52.947294, -8.208104), Cloghprior which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)