CLONBEG, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Tipperary: containing 3662 inhabitants. This parish is situated in the glen of Aherlow, through which runs the river of that name, and is intersected in the south-western portion by the new road from Tipperary to Mitchelstown; it comprises 10,616 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which about 250 are woodland, and nearly one-third of the remainder are incapable of tillage, though part might be improved. The lands in the valley are generally of good quality; there is a large tract of bog on the mountains, and slate abounds, but is not quarried. The scenery of the glen is of highly picturesque character. The north side of the Galtee mountains is within the parish, and within the last thirty-five years abounded with red and fallow deer; but from the improvements that have taken place in agriculture, and the increase of the population, they have totally disappeared. On the top of Galtimore is a large flat stone, called "Kingston" or "Dawson's Table," which is seen from a great distance; and near it is a remarkably fine spring of water, a circumstance unusual at such an elevation; there are also three small lakes in the vicinity of that mountain and within the parish. The gentlemen's seats are Ballinacourty, the residence of J. H. Massy Dawson, Esq., commanding a fine view of Galtimore and of the glen of Aherlow; Ballywire, of J. Bolton Massy, Esq.; and Woodville, of Matthew Gibbons, Esq. A constabulary police force is stationed here. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Archbishop; the tithes amount to £369. 4. 7½. The church is small and out of repair, and it is in contemplation to rebuild it. The glebe-house is a handsome residence; the glebe comprises 18 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Galbally; the chapel is a neat plain building. The parochial schools, in which are about 30 boys and 20 girls, are aided by annual donations from the rector, Capt, Dawson, and Mr. Hill. There are also two pay schools, in which are about 50 boys and 20 girls. There are some remains of Moore abbey, and several Danish raths in the parish; and on the hill is a good chalybeate spring.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clonbeg to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R8481628088 (Lat/Lon: 52.40455, -8.223827), Clonbeg which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)