The gentlemen's seats are Cappamorrough, the residence of J. Green, Esq., and Woodford, of J. Murphy, Esq. Fairs are held on July 5th and Nov. 12th, and petty sessions every alternate week. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Archbishop: the tithes amount to £461. 10. 9¼.
The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £150 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1789: the glebe comprises 15a. 0r. 22p. The church is in bad repair, and application has been made to the Commissioners for the erection of another. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Clonoulty and Clogher, in the former of which are two chapels, situated respectively at Clonoulty and Rossmore.
The parochial schools are supported by the incumbent; there is a school for R. C. children, for which a house was built at Clonoulty, at an expense of £114, by Mr. W. Reilly, of Cashel, who also contributes £10 per annum towards its support, and a school at Rossmore; about 230 children are instructed; and there is also a pay school, in which are about 30 children.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clonoulty to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R9913049585 (Lat/Lon: 52.597938, -8.013574), Clonoulty which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)