CARDANGAN, or CURDANGAN, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER; containing, with part of the town of Tipperary, 2345 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Tipperary to the glen of Aherlow, and extends into a plain which for its fertility and beauty is called the Golden Vale: it contains some of the richest land, in Ireland, although occasionally alternated with heathy mountain. The principal seats are Brookville, that of J. Sadleir, Esq., and Ballyglass, of Mrs. Slattery. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Emly, and is part of the union and corps of the prebend of Lattin in the cathedral of Emly; the rectory is impropriate in Wm. Moore, Esq. The tithes amount to £153. 15., of which £102. 10. is payable to the impropriator, and £51. 5. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions also it is part of the union or district of Lattin. Here is a free school under the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity, which is more particularly noticed in the article on Tipperary, also a pay school, in which are about 30 boys and 10 girls.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cordangan to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R9029332022 (Lat/Lon: 52.440023, -8.143464), Cordangan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)