Hide

Fennor

hide
Hide
FENNOR, a parish, in the. barony of SLIEVARDAGH, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 2½ miles (S.) from Johnstown, on the mail coach road from Dublin by C'ashel to Cork; containing 2073 inhabitants.

This parish, which is hounded on the north and west by the. bog of Allen and a small stream separating it from the barony of Eliogarty, comprises 5671 statute acres, which, with the exception of a considerable tract of bog, is chiefly under tillage. In the bog of Allen, and in this parish, is one of those verdant.

spots called islands, containing about 60 acres of excellent pasturage for sheep: the substratum of the island is limestones but of almost every other part of the parish, freestone. The small river, at a very trifling expense, might be greatly improved by deepening the shallow parts, and would thus afford a facility for draining the bog, and supply abundance of water for turning the several mills upon its banks. Some limestone, of a blue colour is worked for agricultural uses, but the general manure is a compost of lime and clay. Poyutstown, the property of Phanuel Cooke, ESQ., is in ruins.

Here is a constabulary police station. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashcl, forming the corps of the prebend of Fennor, in the cathedral of Cashel, in the patronage of the Archbishop: the tithes amount to £489. 4. 7½. The glebe-house, was erected by aid of a grant from the lute Board of First Fruitu; the glebe comprises 25 acres. The church is a neat modern structure, rebuilt by aid of a gift of £800 from the same Board, in 1815. In the R. C divisions the parish is part of the union or district of Gurtnahoe, or Buolick.

About 250 children are taught in three public schools, of which the parochial school is aided by a donation of £10 per arm. from the incumbent. The ruins of the old castles of Fennor and Graigue Padeen are in the parish, in which are also the remains of the old church, and several Danish raths.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Hide
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Fennor which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S2608358259 (Lat/Lon: 52.675256, -7.615136), Fennor which are provided by: