FINNOE, a parish, in the barony of LOWER-ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 1½ mile (W. S. W.) from Burris-o-Kane, on one of the roads from Nen'agh to Portumna; containing 1399 inhabitants, and comprising 4003 statute acres, of which about 800 are bog; the remainder being mostly pasture land. A lake, covering about 60 acres was drained about 10 years since; the land is reclaimed, and very productive, and the.state of agriculture generally is much improved. Large quantities of shell marl are found at Springfield; and there is plenty of limestone for the purposes of agriculture, and for building.
A small river, called Ballyfinboy, separates this parish from Burris-o-Kane, and empties itself into the Shannon at Castle Biggs. The principal seats are Finnoe House, the residence of T. Waller, Esq.; Ormond Cottage, of S. Waller, Esq.; Rodeen, of J. Falkiner, Esq.; Bell Park, of T. Robinson, Esq.; the glebe-house, of the Rev. Pierce. Goold; and Bellgrove, the property of - Lennard, Esq. The living is a rectory and, vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, episcopally united in 1790 to the rectory and vicarage; of Cloghprior, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £217. The glebe-house, situated on a glebe of 4a. 4a. 3r. 26p., half a mile from the church, was built by aid of a gift of £400, and a loan of £400, in 1819, from the late Board of First Fruits; there is also a glebe of 28 acres, for which the incumbent pays £17 per annum. The church is a neat edifice, repaired and improved by aid of a loan of $323, in 1822, from the same Board. In the R. C.
divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Kilbarron; there is a chapel on the townland of Fir- grove, which is on the boundary of Finnoe and Kilbarron.
About 70 children are taught in a private school.
Ballyfinboy castle is a square tower in good preservation.
Many large elk horns have been found at Springfield bog; and on that townland there is a strong chalybeate spa, only partially used.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Finnoe to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R8751893149 (Lat/Lon: 52.989254, -8.186599), Finnoe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)