"HOLYCROSS, a par. and post-office vil. in the bars. of Eliogarty and Middlethird, co. Tipperary, prov, of Ireland, 2 miles S.W of Thurles. It is 2½ miles long by 1½ mile broad. The parish lies in the valley of the river Suir, and is well cultivated. The road from Thurles to Cashel traverses the interior. The living is a perpet. cur. in the dioc. of Cashel, val. with two others, £173, in the patron. of the bishop. The church was built in 1821, by means of a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. The Roman Catholic chapel is united with that of Ballycahill. There is a parish school, and two or three private schools. The principal residences are, Holycross Hous, Beaksstown, Raheen, Prior Lodge, Farney, Whitefort, and Springfield. The village is a poor place, situated in the Middlethird division of the parish. It contains a large distillery, and the Suir is crossed by a bridge here. Holycrosss Abbey is one of the most interesting ruins in Ireland."
Transcription from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Holycross to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S0782453281 (Lat/Lon: 52.631092, -7.885182), Holycross which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)